DIY TRAVEL PRAYER RUG – HOW TO MAKE A PRAYER MAT
I figured that since prayer mats tend to be really thick and bulky, I would try and create my own DIY travel prayer rug for travel, school, and work purposes! The great thing about this prayer mat is that it can easily be stored in your purse, suitcase, backpack, etc. and it just makes the Muslim life so much easier 😀 YAY.
1. Go to your local fabric store and dig through the upholstery section to find the perfect material for your prayer mat. I found mine in the clearance section for only $5 and I love that it’s kind of bohemian and looks like the material used to make baja hoodies.
2. Make sure to search for a material that is sturdy, light, flexible, and doesn’t unravel.
3. You can cut the fabric to about 2.5 ft × 4 ft (0.76 m × 1.22 m), which according to Wikipedia is the standard prayer mat dimension. I made mine bigger because I want it to fit at least one more person, so just do what works best for you.
4. Fold and roll up your DIY travel prayer rug into a manageable size
5. Get a ribbon, string, band, etc. to tie up your prayer mat. I picked up a 2 inch elastic band from the fabric store for about a dollar and I like it because it is thick and can hold the rolled up mat very well.
VOILA! NOW YOU HAVE YOUR OWN DIY TRAVEL PRAYER RUG!!!
I seriously hope this makes your life easier and that your suitcases and purses thank me.
Because they should :D.
I hope you loved this post! Make sure to comment, like, and subscribe on my YouTube channel.